You often hear horror stories about dishonest agents in the news coverage. This is because honesty and integrity quite frankly just aren’t newsworthy. You need to know that about 10 percent of the realtors in the business handle about 90 percent of the homes for sale in Wichita and overall in other areas as well. It stands to reason then, that these top 10 percent of are likely to be realtor agents you can trust to do a great job.
After all, the bottom line is that real estate is all about selling. Sometimes sales persons get a bad rap in stereotypes, but there are many professions that rely on good sales skills to get their jobs done. Realtors are no exception. Whether they have a new home for sale or existing homes listings, the final thing that determines whether a home sells in Wichita, Kansas is the marketing and effective sales strategies of the realtor. The WSU Center For Real Estate projects that the housing market in Wichita and Kansas are steadily recovering. The center forecasts that homes sales in Wichita will rise by 5.1 percent, and that overall in Kansas, they will rise 7.3 percent with home values increasing slightly as well. Since home sales are on the rise, sellers will be wise to take their time in hiring the best Wichita realtor they can find.
Beyond the hype and glamor of the real estate business, a good home listing realtor lives and dies by the marketing strategies he or she puts in place. If you have area homes for sale, then you are going to want a realtor that is likeable, well spoken and organized. Additionally, if your Wichita home listing is in a hard-to-sell neighborhood, you also want to hire a realtor that lives in or near the area so that the agent has first-hand knowledge of the area.
To ensure you hire a competent realtor, interview several of them. Putting up your home for sale with a listing realtor is a big decision. Your home investment is likely the largest your family owns and you want to protect this investment. Interviewing prospective Wichita realtors helps your home listing gain exposure. If you conduct several interviews in your Wichita area home, you will gain valuable exposure. Most homes are not sold by the listing agent, but by another realtor that splits the sale on the home listing.
There are some common characteristics that home owners desire in the realtor they choose to market a new home for sale. Beyond the characteristics listed below, no one single tactic or characteristic sells homes. It is generally a combination of these that ultimately decides whether your home listing in Wichita, KS sells quickly or sits on the market.
The top five characteristics you want in a realtor are as follows:
1. Experience – If you are not told directly and can’t easily spot the realtors number of years in the business, it is generally because they have little or less than five years experience. And experienced listing agent is able to anticipate problems or prevent them from manifesting because they have learned how to handle most any difficulty that may come with homes for sale in the area. Sometimes a realtor has access to a more seasoned realtor as their mentor and in this case, you will have to use good judgment.
2. Education – Do not be afraid to ask for a prospective Wichita realtor to give you their license number and certifications. You can actually check the original license date with the Kansas real estate licensing division by doing a license verification. Most states will also list any complaints that may have been filed against an agent.
3. Communication/Marketing – You will want to hire a Wichita realtor that you feel is a good communicator and will be available on a regular basis. It will be important to nail down the realtor’s marketing plan as it relates to your particular home listing. Minimum items to expect are:
- Professional signage with a cell phone number
- Lock box with daily monitoring
- Four-color brochures
- Weekly advertising in Wichita newspapers and major papers & distribution to major websites
- Minimum of 2 open houses
- Staging advice
- Virtual tour
- Updates on neighborhood facts, trends and recent sales
- Broker previews
- Weekly reporting to the seller
4. Honesty – Trust your intuition when it comes to the sale of your home and the realtor you are interviewing. An honest agent will likely have most of their business coming from referrals that other satisfied clients. Ask for referrals from friends and family or for references from the prospective agent. Successful realtors go above and beyond making customer satisfaction their number one priority for that particular client’s home listing. Lastly, an honest agent will be willing to guarantee their work, not the selling price, but their performance as your agent.
5. Negotiating and Networking – You want to list your home with a Wichita realtor that is known for their good negotiating skills, not the agent you makes a quick sale at the expense of the seller’s best interest. A successful agent is generally well connected in the community and well known. This is not always the agent that advertises the most so don’t be fooled by big advertising budgets. Ask around and ask for records of home sales and the original home listing prices.