According to ancient Chinese Wisdom, a properly designed bedroom can improve your love life, finances and even your career. Whether or not you believe in the spiritual power of Feng Shui, the principles are often applied in Western decorating because of the emphasis on soft simplicity and minimalistic approach.
Bedrooms are our sanctuaries, the one place in the home where the primary function of the room is to rest. However, many of us find ourselves not resting in our bedrooms. I won’t promise that every night you will get 8 solid hours of sleep and every morning you will be ready for anything, A bedroom needs some planning in order to amplify certain aspects of your life including love, romance, relaxation, and rejuvenation both mental and physical.
A truly restorative bedroom makes your entire senses feel good, nourishing and sensual. Energy Circles in Feng Shui represent clear communication and balance, be sure to have some communication and balance, be sure to have some round artwork (in pairs) you can even use a can dipped lightly in a lighter tone of your wall paint and in different sizes and stamp the feature wall – it will be subtle and look much like wallpaper. You can even get some luxurious bedding with soft circle designs. Soothing sounds like wind chimes outside your window would create a harmonious; calming effect. Don’t forget calming scents- use a diffuser with rose or lavender scents.
Pick a theme or style that reflects your personality and that works well for you and your family, both for style and practical purposes. It might be country, contemporary, minimalist, classic, or a unique combination of any of these. It doesn’t matter what the style that is important it is the Feng Shui balance that matters the most.
The free flow of chi energy in the bedroom is also important. Chi enters a room through the door. How well Chi circulates and affects you depends on the placement of the objects in a room. Allow your doorway, the major source of incoming Chi, to serve its function. Even if you normally enter from another direction, make sure that all doors in your bedroom are able to open at least 90 degrees. The critical areas in your bedroom are the same; sleeping, relaxing, reading, dressing and storage for clothes and shoes, etc.
- clear the clutter under the bed as this can disturb your sleep. Not to mention cause turmoil with your love life. Get rid of anything broken, dirty or muddy shoes or torn tee shirts orother items you have stored in bins.
- thoroughly de-cluter and clean your closets. Let go of clothes that you haven’t worn in a year. Use a bin to house donated items, and don’t forget those trash bags for items that are stained or torn. Invest in a closet system – many are inexpensive and can be found at your local hardware store. What’s astonishing is that we wear 20 percent of our clothes 80 percent of the time. The bulk of our wardrobe is gathering dust on hangers.
- store winter items in the summer, then reverse the scenario in the spring and summer. If it doesn’t fit get rid of it. Dress for the size you are now and get rid of those items that don’t fit anymore. If you do lose a little weight then you can treat yourself to a new wardrobe; how exciting is that!! Do not use wire or other plastic hangers for sweaters or tees hanging in the closet because you get what I call ‘knees’ in the shoulders from the hangers. These items should be folded and stored in a dresser or in the closet. Use clip style hangers for skirts and pants it saves space and makes the close look neat. You can donate the good items and you can deduct it as an expense on your tax return if you Itemize deductions; or you can send them to a consignment shop where you can make some money.
- take out all the items that create visual clutter that do not really belong in your bedroom. This includes the television (yikes the t.v.) any exercise equipment, office work and related items. If you keep the T.V. in the bedroom then make sure it is housed in an Amore when you sleep. The good Feng Shui energy in your bedroom is the free flow of the Chi – electronics and even an exercise machine can interfere with brain and nervous systems.
- open the windows often or use a good quality air-purifier to keep the air fresh and full of oxygen. You cannot have good Feng Shui if the air you breathe in is stale and full of pollutants.
- have several levels of lighting in your bedroom, or use a dimmer switch to adjust the energy accordingly. Good appropriate lighting is very important, as light is our number one nutrient and one of the strongest manifestations of energy. Candles are the best for Feng Shui bedroom lighting, but be sure to buy candles with no toxins, not only that, be sure to blow them out before you go to sleep.
- use soothing colors to achieve a good Feng Shui balance in your bedroom. Feng Shui bedroom decor is a balanced decor that promotes the best flow of energy for restoritive sleep, as well as sexual healing. Place lots of comfy coordinating pillows and a luxurious chenille throw on the bed it will make the bed look and feel ‘lavish’! The best Feng Shui colors for the bedroom are considered the so called “skin colors”, and we, of course, know the colors of the human skin vary from pale white to rich chocolate brown.
Follow the basic Feng Shui guidelines for your bed which include:
- have your bed approchable from both sides,
- have 2 bedside tables (one on each side) if you don’t have room on one side of the bed to place a night stand then make sure that there is at least 3″ between the bed and wall;
- the best position of the bed is diagonally opposite the door. If this is not possible then place a bench or blanket box in front of the bed so that it will block or slow down any negative energy.
- make you bed daily, after all the bed anchors the room and sets the tone for the entire room. A made bed inspires order and calm.
- never place a mirror at the foot of the bed this brings about depression, loneliness or other problems along with negative Chi. Choose serene and calm images or those that have a happy sentimental meaning to you.
- keep all the doors closed at night, be it the closet doors, the bathroom door and the bedroom door. This will allow for the best and flexibility for positive energy.
- place an item or object you love and the first thing that you see when you walk through the door of your bedroom. It could be a vase, a picture or almost anything else that makes you feel happy and secure.
Remember that items in your bedroom should be in pairs. the Relationship corner is the southeast corner of your bedroom – place a statue of 2 people dancing or holding each other, it will bring harmony to your love life. Make sure that everything in the bedroom, or your entire house, is clean and free of dust. That brings negative energy or Chi to your life.